An ingenious and still practical design - a travelling or campaign inkwell of fine quality. The original glass ink reservoir is held within a pewter casing with spring loaded lid which, in turn, is surrounded by a tactile mahogany cushion frame with mitred corners. The metal case, when pressed, rises up to form a right angle with the wood surround and slides along to stand securely in the centre of the frame. The piece is stamped 'Ransome's Patent' around an impressed crown and below, the maker's name, De La Rue & Co. Circa 1890-1900.
Ransome's patent inkwell was made in various sizes and is featured in the catalogue for The Army & Navy Stores.