A heavy quality, late 19th century gilt metal heraldic shield featuring the arms of Trinity College, Cambridge which was established in 1546 by Henry VIII. Trinity College is the richest of the Oxbridge colleges and one of the wealthiest landowners in the UK (after the Crown Estate, the National Trust and the Church of England). This piece was probably an architectural feature or formed part of the entrance gates on one of the College`s properties. The heraldic device may be described thus: "
Argent, a chevron between three roses gules barbed and seeded proper and on a chief gules a lion passant gardant between two closed books all or. " An excellent quality piece of significance for an alumnus of Trinity College or anyone with an interest in English heraldry. Circa 1880.
The item remains in fine condition with some tarnishing and weathering commensurate with it having been in external use.