A decorative and still practical 19th century furnishing accessory: a door stop cast from fine quality brass by the renowned Birmingham brassfounder, William Tonks, Sons & Co. The attractive bell-shaped base is filled with a cast iron insert to provide stability whilst the column handle divides at the top to provide a useful scrolling finger grip. The piece is impressed with the maker`s initials, W. T. & S. below a sun motif and remains in used but excellent original condition. Circa 1840-60.
(W.T.&S.), William Tonks & Sons, 201, Moseley Street, Birmingham made cast and wrought brass products. They were manufacturers of architectural hardware, art metalware, campaign metalware, ecclesiastical metalwork and were an early fabricator of decorative patterned tubes. The Tonks family surname is in the lists of Birmingham brassfounders before the 1800s. William Tonks founded this firm in 1789 (or 1794?). They won gold medals at the 1851 and 1862 Exhibitions in London and in 1855 at Paris. The larger factory in Moseley Street was opened in the early 1860s and most items now found will date from after this time.
Ref: oldcopper.org website
Image of Trade Page courtesy of Birmingham Central Library, Local Studies & History