Dating from the last quarter of the 19th century, a still practical tin trunk of useful size originally designed for the transportation and storage of the uniform of Lieutenant T H James, R N. The chest still retains traces of the original patterned toleware decoration and has a sturdy metal handle to each end. It was closed by means of the original brass secure lever lock and sliding retaining pins (one of which is missing). The interior retains the original cream coloured finish. The centre of the lid is adorned with a substantial brass plaque engraved with the name of the officer. A characterful piece of Royal Naval interest remaining in slightly distressed condition commensurate with its original purpose but still eminently usable. Circa 1870-90.
H: 13cm (5.1") W: 67cm (26.4") D: 33cm (13.0")
Make an enquiry -
Email details -